This zucchini strata from Yotam Ottolenghi is made with ciabatta bread soaked in a rich custard-like concoction of milk, cream, and egg and then cooked in a single skillet with zucchini and basil and a crisp golden Parmesan crust.
This magnificent zucchini strata bears all the typical understated elegance found in every creation from Yotam Ottolenghi. The custardy texture is ethereally light, fluffy, and comforting in that way that only happens when you soak bread in milk and finds a lovely contrast in a crisp, golden brown Parmesan crust. Everything else—eggs, cheese, zucchini, basil, bread—is in perfect proportion to one another. Thank you yet again, Ottolenghi.–Angie Zoobkoff
- Quick Glance
- 45 M
- 1 H, 30 M
- Serves 6
- <span itemprop="recipeIngredient" class="ingredient-wrap" data-us="1 pound store-bought or homemade ciabatta, crusts removed and reserved for bread crumbs, bread torn into small chunks (6 cups)” data-metric=”455 g store-bought or homemade ciabatta, crusts removed and reserved for bread crumbs, bread torn into small chunks (6 cups)”>1 pound store-bought or homemade ciabatta, crusts removed and reserved for bread crumbs, bread torn into small chunks (6 cups)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini (3 to 4 cups), coarsely grated
- 1 1/4 cups basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the ciabatta, milk, and cream and mix well. Cover and wait for the bread to absorb most of the liquid, about 30 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the garlic, eggs, cumin, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well and then add the bread and its liquid followed by the zucchini and basil. Stir gently.
- 4. Place an 8-by-10-inch (20-by-25-cm) baking dish in the oven until hot, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, brush with the oil, and pour in the zucchini mixture, smoothing the surface. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the last of the Parmesan evenly on top of the strata and then bake until the strata is golden brown and cooked through (a knife inserted in the center should come out clean), 20 to 25 minutes more. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Zucchini Strata Recipe © 2018 Yotam Ottolenghi. Photo © 2018 Jonathan Lovekin. All rights reserved. All recipes and photos used with permission of the publisher.
Source | Foodbase.fun